You are here
Home > Barnsley > HomeServe South Yorkshire backs national Gas Safety Week

HomeServe South Yorkshire backs national Gas Safety Week

Please share the news

A Barnsley-based heating firm is encouraging homeowners across south Yorkshire to give their gas appliances an annual safety check this week in support of a national awareness campaign.

HomeServe South Yorkshire is backing Gas Safety Week (18-24 September) by urging local residents to ensure a Gas Safe registered engineer has inspected their boilers and other gas-powered appliances.

Now in its seventh year, the annual campaign sees organisations from across the UK working together to raise awareness of the dangers of poorly maintained gas appliances, which can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. 

David Taylor, managing director at HomeServe South Yorkshire, said: “We’re proud to be supporting Gas Safety Week in 2017. It’s a really important national initiative and we’ll be doing everything we can to help raise awareness of gas safety issues and highlight the importance of having gas appliances checked by an engineer that is registered with the official gas authority, Gas Safe Register.

“We check that people’s gas appliances are working safely and efficiently as part of our day-to-day work but general awareness of gas safety issues among the public is low. With the winter weather almost upon us and many people reaching for their thermostats already, now is the perfect time for people to check their gas appliances are working correctly.”

By law, only Gas Safe registered engineers like those at HomeServe South Yorkshire are allowed to work on gas appliances. According to Gas Safe Register, every year an estimated quarter of a million illegal gas jobs are carried out by unregistered workers that do not have the skills or the qualifications to do the job safely.

Jonathan Samuel, managing director for Gas Safe Register, said: “We know from our own investigations that one in six gas appliances in the UK are unsafe.

“Unsafe gas appliances can cause carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning or fires, putting people’s lives at risk. It’s great to have the support of HomeServe South Yorkshire this Gas Safety Week. By working together we can raise further awareness of gas safety, to help reduce the number of dangerous gas appliances that could be lurking in people’s homes.”

Related Post


Please share the news

Leave a Reply

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload the CAPTCHA.

Top