Entrepreneurs from 11 Yorkshire and Humber businesses, which together turnover more than £790m, have been shortlisted in EY’s North of England Entrepreneur Of The Year Awards 2015.
Twelve entrepreneurs across these 11 Yorkshire companies – which include firms in the software, manufacturing, leisure and support services sectors – will compete with each other, as well as leaders from 27 other businesses based in the North East and the North West, at the North of England final, which will be held on 23 June 2015 at the Lowry Hotel in Manchester.
The North of England winners will go on to vie for the title of EY UK Entrepreneur Of The Year 2015 and a chance to represent their country at a global awards ceremony in Monte Carlo in 2016.
The 2015 North of England judging panel will be chaired by Ian Kelly, chairman of Matrix and Utiligroup, non-executive director of Purple WiFi and PowerLinks, and a former UK Entrepreneur Of The Year winner. He will be joined on the panel by 12 other Northern business leaders, including Karen Boswell, former managing director of East Coast Rail and Jim Sumner, chairman of Leeds-headquartered Andrew Page.
Catherine Reid, Yorkshire Entrepreneur Of The Year leader at EY, said: “Our 2015 finalists are all outstanding entrepreneurs, who have driven the expansion of their companies by developing strong and often differentiated propositions, and robust management. Many of them remained resilient throughout the downturn and are prospering today in the improving economy.
“Investment in technology and innovation, and domestic and international expansion are just some of the ways these entrepreneurs are growing their businesses and positioning themselves for even more expansion over the years ahead. These dynamic, fast growing companies – and the people behind them – are vital to Yorkshire’s national and global competitiveness, and these awards rightly recognise their success.”
Stuart Watson, UK Entrepreneur Of the Year Leader and Yorkshire senior partner at EY, said: “We need entrepreneurs now more than ever. They have been achieving success and defying the odds in times of change and upheaval, recognising opportunities to act quickly and decisively to gain market share and traction for their ideas and innovation.
“Now in its 17th year in the UK, EY’s Entrepreneur Of The Year brings together dynamic business leaders of fast growth companies who are creating growth, confidence at pace and generating positive impact in their markets at home and abroad.”
This year’s Yorkshire finalists are:
- Alan Henderson, CEO at Allied Glass Group (Leeds)
- Martin Boddy, CEO at Jaywing (Sheffield)
- Tim Rix, Managing Director at JR Rix & Sons (Hull)
- Thornton Tasker, Managing Director at Nationwide Window Cleaning (Harrogate)
- Naveen Ahmed, Managing Director at Parklane Group of Companies (Leeds)
- Gary Molloy, CEO and Miles Dewhurst, Managing Director at Park Leisure (York)
- Paul Teasdale, Chief Executive at Premier Technical Services Group (PTSG) (Castleford)
- Peter Roberts, Executive Chairman at Pure Gym (Leeds)
- Sean Ramsden, Chief Executive at Ramsden International (Grimsby)
- Antony Odell, Chief Executive Officer at Tissue Regenix Group (York)
- Frank Hester, Founder and CEO at The Phoenix Partnership (TPP) (Horsforth, Leeds)