International and civic dignitaries and representatives from businesses across the Sheffield City Region and beyond are to attend the first ever China Forum this week.
The China UK Business Incubator (CUBI) event ‘All Things China’ will take place tomorrow at New Era Square, Sheffield.
A not-for-profit social enterprise, CUBI is the brainchild of businessman Jerry Cheung and a core element of the £75million New Era Development – dubbed ‘Sheffield’s China Town’ – located between London Road and Bramall Lane.
The CUBI was launched in September 2018, and is a collaboration between Sheffield City Council, The University of Sheffield, Sheffield Hallam University, Sheffield Chamber of Commerce and New Era Development (UK) Ltd.
New Era Development managing director Jerry Cheung said: “CUBI aims to be the China Gateway and a one-stop-shop in the North of England serving as a regional hub for intelligence and information gathering for local businesses who would like to enter the China market, as well as help to attract China enterprises to invest in the Sheffield City Region.
“Our first China Forum is an important showcase event in bringing the public sector, private sector and education sector together, to create a stronger platform that truly works for both UK and China businesses. Guests will discover what each collaborator is providing for a strong comprehensive China-related business support service, as well as what the local business community can get out of the CUBI.
“We are expecting more than 100 attendees including Ms An Xi, the 1st Secretary from the Ministry of Commerce at the London Chinese Embassy. We also have more than 40 companies attending from Sheffield, Doncaster, Chesterfield and even Manchester.”
After a welcome by CUBI Chair Richard Caborn, guests will hear speeches from:
- Mazher Iqbal – Sheffield City Council, Cabinet Member for Business
- An Xi – Economic and Commercial Office Embassy of People’s Republic of China
- Richard Wright – Sheffield Chamber of Commerce, Director – Policy & Representation
- Kevin Kerrigan – Sheffield Hallam University, Pro Vice-Chancellor for Enterprise and Sheffield Business School
- Professor Dave Petley – University of Sheffield, Vice President for Innovation
- Jerry Cheung, Managing Director of New Era Development.
- Xiangyu Deng – CUBI’s associate member Plustech
- Dennis Chung – General Manager of JRI
There will also be a Q&A session with the panel, before drinks, nibbles and networking opportunities.