The discretionary grant fund announced earlier this month is aimed at businesses that were not eligible to claim the initial government COVID-19 grants linked to rates relief.
Doncaster Council have been using the criteria provided by government to set up a user-friendly application system, which will opened 27 May 2020.
The application process will ensure it is straightforward and one that will enable the Council to efficiently process applications and pay the funds to successful applicants quickly.
Mayor Ros Jones said: “It is vital that we support our small businesses during this difficult time, so that’s I’m pleased to open the Discretionary Grants Fund for applications. I encourage any small business owner who is eligible to make an application and access all the help that is available.”
Doncaster Council is now urging small businesses to apply for the grant, clearly demonstrating evidence of the following:
- Small business in shared offices or other flexible workspaces, such as units in industrial parks, science parks and incubators which do not have their own business rates assessment
- Regular market trader with fixed building costs, such as rent, who do not have their own business rates assessment
- Bed and Breakfasts which pay council tax instead of business rates
- Charity properties in receipt of charitable business rates relief which would otherwise have been eligible for Small Business Rates Relief or Rural Rate Relief
- Demonstrate that the business has suffered a significant fall in income due to the COVID-19 crisis
- Occupying property, or part of a property, with a rateable value or annual rent or annual mortgage payments below £51,000.
- Have fewer than 50 employees
- Trading on or before 11 March 2020
As much as we would like to be able to offer financial support to every business throughout the borough, the funding is very limited, so the Council will be prioritising sectors and businesses following the government guidelines and the criteria above.
For further information and to apply for the funding please visit https://www.doncaster.gov.uk/services/business-investment/covid-19-business-grants